At a glance
The statistics on this page reflect the most recent data available.
- Department founded in 1901
ABET accredited since 1933
- More than 20 courses routinely offered
- Class section size averages 36 students (2009-2010)
- Faculty in the department hold 39 active patents
In its 2014 rankings, U.S.News & World Report's America's Best Colleges rated Illinois as the number 11 public university and the number 41 national university.
In 2013, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was listed as No. 8 on Edudemic's "10 Innovative Universities Shaking Up Education."
A Wall Street Journal study
(2013) of the largest public and private companies, nonprofits and government agencies ranked the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign #3 for graduates top-rated by recruiters.
The Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering undergraduate program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700. That accreditation includes consideration of the program’s educational objectives and outcomes and assures that this program meets the expectations for training a professional chemical and biomolecular engineer.
US News rankings:
- Illinois College of Engineering engineering program: 5 (2014)
- Undergraduate Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering: 12 (2014)
- More than 500 undergraduate students
- 34 percent female
- 8 percent minority
- 13 percent international students
- 11 percent out-of-state students
- The average student admitted to our program has an ACT score of 30 and is in the 94th percentile of his or her high school graduating class.
- Illinois graduate College of Engineering program ranked sixth in the US News rankings in 2014
- ChBE graduate program is ranked 12th in the US News rankings in 2014
Statistics for 2013-2014 school year:
- Total students: around 110
- M.S. degrees conferred, academic year 2013-14: 11
- Ph.D. degrees conferred, academic year 2013-14: 26
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences : 1 emeritus faculty
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science: 4 faculty, 1 emeritus faculty
- Fellow, American Chemical Society, 1 faculty
- Fellow, The American Institute of Chemical Engineers: 1 faculty
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2 faculty
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2 faculty
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society, 1 faculty
- Fellow, Electrochemical Society, 1 emeritus faculty
- National Academy of Engineering, Chemical Engineering: 1 faculty, 3 emeritus faculty (2011)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, Engineering Science: 1 emeritus faculty
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 6 faculty
- The University of Illinois, in collaboration with the National University of Singapore, has a multi-institutional Ph.D. program, the first of its kind on campus.
- 68 percent of our students are first-time freshmen, 17 percent are transfers from other majors and 18 percent are transfers from other schools
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering is No. 2 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in research expenditures.