Now hiring Classroom Assistants and Tutors for Fall 2022!
- Assist professors and lecturers with classroom responsibilities
- Tutor undergraduate students in chemical engineering core courses
- Hourly wage $16/hour
Duties and time commitments are dependent upon assignment and may include one or more of the following tasks. For assisting professors and lecturers: classroom assistance; conducting discussion sections; holding office hours; grading homework sets; and assisting in the grading of reports, tests, quizzes, and exams. For tutoring: facilitate tutor sessions to help students to understand core course materials. It is estimated that the total time commitment depends upon the assignment but is expected to be no more than 8-10 hours per week.
Qualifications: Undergraduate student applicants should be in chemical engineering and should have completed three or more ChBE courses, maintain a high GPA (preferably 3.7 or higher), and possess strong communication skills. Graduate students are welcome to apply. Degrees in disciplines with similar ChemE backgrounds may be considered.
Applications should be received by noon on April 29. Submit the application package to the departmental office; contact information is below (electronic submission is requested). Late applications may be considered.
Procedures for Application:
- Complete the Hourly Assistant application form.
- Provide availability to serve as a classroom assistant. Include class schedule.
- Send a PDF of DARS report.
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Current Job Opportunities
Research Assistant Professor
The Molecule Maker Lab Institute (MMLI) is an NSF Artificial Intelligence Institute for Molecular Discovery, Synthetic Strategy, and Manufacturing at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, which is becoming a global epicenter for molecule making innovation.
The MMLI is seeking a Research Assistant Professor who will collaborate with researchers across all Institute Thrusts to apply artificial intelligence to synthesis planning, catalyst design and optimization, manufacturing, development of functional materials, and broadening access to molecule making. This position will provide multiple opportunities for professional development that will help prepare them for an academic faculty position or an industry managerial position.
Please visit go.chbe.illinois.edu/ApplyNowMMLI to view the complete position announcement and application instructions. The application deadline for full consideration is February 21, 2022.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The U of I is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabledhttp://go.illinois.edu/EEO that participates in the federal e-Verify program and participates in a background check program focused on prior criminal or sexual misconduct history.
Life on the Silicon Prairie
Urbana-Champaign is a place where people come together to bring big ideas to life. We're home to the tech incubator University of Illinois Research Park and surrounded by some of the richest farmland in the world. Our campus community is home to a wide range of exceptional research and scholarship, but what truly sets us apart is a collaborative environment that leads to groundbreaking discovery, innovation, and partnerships that invite new ways of thinking and working.
Unique "Micro-Urban" Community
Urbana-Champaign is on an accelerated development track, emerging as a leading example of a "micro-urban" community—a population center of less than 250,000 with a set of highly desirable attributes commonly found in larger cities. Our vibrant arts/culture/nightlife scene, internationally diverse population, strong technology base, and commitment to societal issues coupled with a world-class university make this an ideal place to live, study, and work. Plus, we are just a few hours away from three metropolises: Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
Better Living, Less Hassle
- #2 on American Institute of Economic Research's Best College Towns based on demographics, quality of life, and economics
- #2 among national peer institutions for cost-of-living
- 80 parks spanning nearly 1,000 acres in Urbana-Champaign alone (and many more within a short drive) provide an abundance of swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, and biking opportunities
- 19 intercollegiate sports programs keep the excitement of Big Ten athletics ever-present on campus
- Easy commutes, a designated "bike-friendly" community, and an award-winning mass transit system (free with campus ID) make it quick and simple to get from here to there
Points of Interest
- Krannert Center for the Performing Arts is a nationally renowned venue, attracting theater, musical, and dance performances from entertainers from around the globe.
- The Illinois Marathon offers races for all skill levels from 5K to a full 26.2-mile race. This scenic course takes you through Champaign-Urbana, and can even help you qualify for the Boston Marathon.
- PYGMALION Festival brings hundreds of musicians, innovators, artists, comedians, and anyone else with someone to share to the local area.
- Ebertfest was started by Illinois alum Roger Ebert. It brings together writers, producers, actors, directors, and film buffs to celebrate films that haven’t received the recognition they deserved during their original runs.
CHBE’s Cultural Resource Guide to Champaign-Urbana was created by our Graduate Student Advisory Council (GSAC) to highlight some of the food and experiences that our community has to offer.