Welcome to ChBE.
We are a vibrant, supportive community of chemical engineering scholars. Learn more from our current graduate students about what our department has to offer both in and out of the lab.
Life on the Silicon Prairie
Urbana-Champaign is a place where people come together to bring big ideas to life. We're home to the tech incubator University of Illinois Research Park and surrounded by some of the richest farmland in the world. Our campus community is home to a wide range of exceptional research and scholarship, but what truly sets us apart is a collaborative environment that leads to groundbreaking discovery, innovation, and partnerships that invite new ways of thinking and working.
Unique "Micro-Urban" Community
Urbana-Champaign is on an accelerated development track, emerging as a leading example of a "micro-urban" community—a population center of less than 250,000 with a set of highly desirable attributes commonly found in larger cities. Our vibrant arts/culture/nightlife scene, internationally diverse population, strong technology base, and commitment to societal issues coupled with a world-class university make this an ideal place to live, study, and work. Plus, we are just a few hours away from three metropolises: Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
Better Living, Less Hassle
- #2 on American Institute of Economic Research's Best College Towns based on demographics, quality of life, and economics
- #2 among national peer institutions for cost-of-living
- 80 parks spanning nearly 1,000 acres in Urbana-Champaign alone (and many more within a short drive) provide an abundance of swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, and biking opportunities
- 19 intercollegiate sports programs keep the excitement of Big Ten athletics ever-present on campus
- Easy commutes, a designated "bike-friendly" community, and an award-winning mass transit system (free with campus ID) make it quick and simple to get from here to there
Helpful guides to Champaign-Urbana
- Cindy’s Guide to Living (Cheaply) in Champaign-Urbana is an award-winning guide for graduate students compiled by former Graduate Program Coordinator and Urbana native Cindy Dodds.
- ChBE GSAC has created a helpful guide to cultural and recreational spots and tips for new students on getting acclimated to the life in Champaign-Urbana.
Our current graduate students open their doors to show you what housing options are available in Champaign-Urbana. Take a peek at how far your hard-earned money can go in our community.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Illinois students, scholars, and alumni are a community with the power to change the world.
With our land-grant heritage as a foundation, we pioneer innovative research that tackles global problems and expands the human experience. Transformative learning experiences, in and out of the classroom, are designed to produce alumni who desire to make a significant, societal impact.
What's more, our university is consistently ranked among the top five universities for National Science Foundation-funded research—we recently garnered more than any other university, six out of the last 7 years in a row. Our annual research funding exceeds $600 million.
Check out the Alma Cam!
Wondering what it looks like on our campus right now? Check out live footage of our most beloved statue on campus, Alma Mater.