M.Eng. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Degree Questions

Do you offer a terminal Master of Science program?
No, we only offer a terminal Master of Engineering in Engineering with a concentration in Chemical Engineering Leadership, which is an M.Eng. not a Master of Science degree. 

What is the difference between this professional master’s degree and a traditional M.S.?
This Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree is a non-thesis professional program that prepares students for a career in industry. Students train to be prepared to become industry leaders by completing rigorous graduate-level technical coursework combined with business and leadership training. Courses and lectures in the M.Eng. program are delivered by world-class engineering and business faculty and accomplished industry partners. Students who plan to work in a research laboratory setting or are on their way to earning a Ph.D. may receive a Master of Science (M.S.) degree upon completion of the required coursework. Our department only offers this M.S. degree option to our doctoral candidates; you cannot pursue a terminal M.S. in Chemical Engineering at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. 

Can I pursue a Ph.D. after the Master of Engineering degree?
Upon completion of the Master of Engineering degree, students are eligible to apply to the Ph.D. program in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. Whereas the M.Eng. program emphasizes business and leadership skills, the Ph.D. program seeks applicants who want to develop honed research and critical thinking skills in a specialized area.   

Admissions Questions

My background is not in Chemical Engineering. Can I still apply to this program?
Aspiring chemical engineers who want to redirect their careers from other disciplines such as chemistry, materials science, etc. are encouraged to apply for this program. A set of technical core courses is highly encouraged for students without a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. Read more about our Admissions Criteria

Do you offer application fee waivers?
We do not offer application fee waivers for our M.Eng. program applicants. 

Do you require work experience to be eligible?
Work experience is not required. A certain number of our applicants do not have work experience beyond internships and co-ops.

Do you require the GRE?
We do not require the GRE for admission.

What is the minimum GPA required to apply for the program?
The minimum GPA for eligible applicants is 3.0. Learn more about our Admissions Criteria.

Do you offer admission in the Fall, Spring, and Summer?
Yes, you can apply to begin our program during any semester. Check out the Application Requirements and Process page for the deadlines to apply for each semester. Our Degree Requirements outline curriculum sequence scenarios for each semester. 

Is it possible for me to defer my admission?
Admitted students may defer admission for up to one calendar year. For example, if you have been admitted for Fall and are unable to attend during that semester, you may defer to the following Spring or Fall. To defer admission, go to your Application portal and you will have the option of selecting to defer your admission to a future term. Select the term in which you would like to be enrolled. You should also email our program office to notify them of your decision to defer.

Program Questions

I am a new student. How do I set up my NetID, university email, and register for classes?
Refer to the Quick Guide for information on how to set up your NetID and other essential first steps.

After enrollment in the program, is there a minimum GPA I must maintain?
Yes. All students enrolled in the M.Eng. program are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher. 

How long do I have to get my degree?
Our academic advisor will help each student with their individualized academic plan. On-campus students are expected to complete their degrees in three semesters. Students enrolled in the online program typically study part-time while working full-time, and therefore, have up to five years to complete the program. If an extension is desired beyond two years (on-campus students) or 5 years (online students), students may request an extension through the Graduate College petition process.

As many I-20 visas are issued for 18 months, international students should plan to complete their degree in three semesters or else request an extension.

Some courses offer several sections. How do I know which section is right for me?
You will find information about each class on course explorer. This information describes the type of class (i.e., Online, Lecture-Discussion, Lab), who can take the class (under Restrictions), prerequisite course work, and Section Type. Under "Type," it should describe if a class is online or in person (Lecture-Discussion). Further, some classes are offered online and may have sections that are designated only for online students, while other sections may be for on-campus students. An example of this is TE 460. Looking at CRN 56934, one can see that this is an in-person synchronous class because there is a meeting time and class location. CRN 69707 is an online class and section letters ONC mean that it is designated for on-campus students, while CRN 60408 is an online section, and section letters ONL mean that it is restricted to online students. Students will receive an error message if they try to register for the wrong section. Contact our Program Coordinator if you are having registration problems. 

Do you offer job placement assistance?
The program offers career management services through the School of Chemical Sciences Career Services. On-campus students may also request additional assistance from Engineering Career Services, Graduate College Career Development Office, and The Career Center. They are dedicated to providing career planning advice and job search support to students.

Finance Questions

Is there funding, fellowships, or scholarships available for M.Eng. degree students?
Unfortunately, we have no funding or scholarships available for M.Eng. students at this time. The department does not offer scholarships or fellowships for M.Eng. students; however, students are welcome to apply for external fellowships or scholarships.

I will be an on-campus student. May I hold a Research Assistantship (RA) or Teaching Assistantship (TA) while in the M.Eng. program?
Students in the M.Eng. program may not hold an RA or TA position. M.Eng. students are eligible to hold graduate hourly positions. Students can find on-campus job opportunities on the virtual job board. Another good job source is the Research Park Virtual Job Board

When is tuition due and how do I pay my bill?
Information on tuition due dates and payment options is available on the University of Illinois Bursar's website.

International Student Questions

Are international students eligible for CPT and OPT?
Yes, international students are eligible for CPT and OPT. To be eligible for CPT, students must complete one full academic year (consecutive fall and spring) of full-time study immediately prior to the semester of their requested CPT work authorization. For details, see the ISSS pages for CPT and OPT. This program is considered a STEM program, and therefore, students are eligible for a STEM extension on their OPT. 

Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS, and what are the minimum scores for this test?
Proof of English proficiency is not required for admission for domestic applicants. All international degree-seeking applicants are required to submit the results of an accepted test as evidence of English proficiency unless they qualify for an exemption. The Graduate College details the accepted tests, proficiency requirements, and exemptions. 

If your question is not answered on this page, contact us at chbe-gradrecruiting@illinois.edu.


Questions about M.Eng.?

Contact us with questions about the program!

99 Roger Adams Laboratory, MC-712
600 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801, USA
tel: 217-300-4452
email: chbe-meng@illinois.edu

Email Us

Hong Yang
Director, M.Eng. in Chemical Engineering Leadership

Dan Shen headshotDan Shen
Program Coordinator, M.Eng. in Chemical Engineering Leadership