Application Requirements and Process
The University of Illinois Graduate College oversees the application process for the Master of Engineering in Chemical Engineering Leadership program. All parts of the application, including the application fee, must be received by the application deadline. In addition, incomplete applications will be subject to denial. All admission decisions will be communicated via email to the email address provided in the application.
Students with bachelor's or master's degrees in engineering or related sciences (such as chemistry, materials science, bioengineering, and biomedical engineering) from a regionally accredited college in the United States or a comparable degree from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad will be considered for admission if they have a grade point average of at least 3.00 (A = 4.00) for the last two years of undergraduate study. All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores as evidence of English proficiency.
- Spring 2024 Enrollment: November 1, 2023
- Fall 2024 Enrollment:
- Priority deadline: February 15, 2024
- International student deadline: May 1, 2024
- Domestic student deadline: June 1.
The application fee must be paid using a credit card through the online application and is non-refundable. Application fee waivers are not available for M.Eng. in Chemical Engineering Leadership applicants.
- Domestic students: $70 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- International students: $90 for international students
- Submit/upload unofficial transcripts for all completed university coursework in the Online Application. Official transcripts will be required upon admission and acceptance to the program. If you are offered admission, you must submit final, official academic credentials within one month of the start of the semester to the Graduate College.
- Submit 3 letters of recommendation. Individuals writing letters of recommendation on your behalf should submit their letters through the online application system.
- Submit a statement of purpose. This is a part of the online application form. Provide your Academic Statement of Purpose to describe in 1000 words: (1) academic interest in Chemical Engineering Leadership; (2) academic background and training; (3) motivation for pursuing professional graduate studies in Chemical Engineering Leadership; and (4) career plans.
- Submit a resume. This is a part of the online application form. Your resume should address your education, job experience, remarkable achievements, publications, organizations, awards, and leadership experiences.
All applicants whose native language is not English:
- Proof of English proficiency is not required for admission for domestic applicants. All international degree-seeking applicants are required to submit the results of an accepted test as evidence of English proficiency unless they qualify for an exemption. The Graduate College details the accepted tests, proficiency requirements, and exemptions.
- GRE scores are optional. If you have already or plan to take the GRE, you may submit your scores to the Graduate College using institution code number 1836. If GRE scores are submitted, they must be official. (Please follow the Graduate College instructions on submitting Test Scores.)
Ensure all your application materials have been submitted successfully and access your application status through the admissions portal.
If admission is offered, international applicants must submit the Financial Certification Form. This form does not need to be submitted with the application materials.