- Assistant Professor
107 Roger Adams Laboratory
Develops advanced materials for molecularly selective separations and process intensification for applications in energy, environment, and chemical manufacturing.
For more information
- Postdoctorate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2017-2018
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2017
- BASc., University of Waterloo, 2011
For more information
Selected Articles in Journals
- K. Kim, S. Cotty, J. Elbert, R. Chen, C.H. Hou, X. Su. Asymmetric Redox-Polymer Interfaces for Electrochemical Reactive Separations: Synergistic Capture and Conversion of Arsenic. Advanced Materials, 2019. Early View: https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201906877 [Highlighted as Inside Front Cover]
- X. Su, A. Kushima, C. Halliday, J. Zhou, J. Li, T. A. Hatton. Electrochemically-mediated selective capture of heavy metal chromium and arsenic oxyanions from water. Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 4701.
- X. Su, K.J. Tan, J. Elbert, C. Ruttiger, M. Gallei, T.F. Jamison, and T.A. Hatton, “Asymmetric Faradaic systems for selective electrochemical separations,” Energy & Environmental Science, 2017, 10, 1272-1283.
- X. Su, H. Kulik, T.F. Jamison, and T.A. Hatton, “Anion-selective redox electrodes: electrochemically-mediated separation with organometallic interfaces,” Advanced Functional Materials. 2016, 26(20), 3394-3404. [Highlighted as back-cover]
- X. Su, and T.A. Hatton, “Redox-electrodes for selective electrochemical separations,” Advances in Colloid & Interface Science, 2017, State-of-Art Perspective, 244, 6-20.
- X. Su, L. Bromberg, K.J. Tan, T.F. Jamison, L.K. Padhye, T.A. Hatton, “Electrochemically Mediated Reduction of Nitrosamines by Hemin-Functionalized Redox Electrodes," Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 2017, 4 (4), 161-167.
- X. Su, L. Bromberg, V. Martis, F. Simeon, A. Huq, T.A. Hatton. Post-synthetic Functionalization of Mg-MOF-74 with Tetraethylenepentamine: Structural Characterization and Enhanced CO2 Adsorption. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017, 9 (12), 11299-11306.
- Bromberg, X. Su, and T.A. Hatton, “Functional networks of organic and coordination polymers for Fructose Conversion,” Chemistry of Materials, 2014, 26 (21), 6257-6264.
- Kozak, J. Wu, X. Su, F. Simeon, T.A. Hatton, and T.F. Jamison, “ Bromine-Catalyzed Conversion of CO2 and Epoxides to Cyclic Carbonates under Continuous Flow Conditions,” Journal of American Chemical Society, 2013, 135 (49), 18497–18501.
- ACS Viktor K. LaMer Award (2020)
- RCSA Scialog Fellow (2020)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2019)
- Illinois Water Resources Center Fellow (2019)
- Whakapukahatanga Taiao Research Fellow, University of Auckland (2018)
- Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) Catalyst Award (2016-2017)
- MIT Water Innovation Prize (2016)
- MIT Veraqua Prize (2016)
- ACS Langmuir Student Oral Presentation Award (2016)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Doctoral Fellowship (2011-2014)